Monday, October 15, 2012

One More Angel

I have been contemplating for a while now taking on an older child who has lost their Sponsor. I have also contemplated branching out from the Philippines for the first time in ten years. And I was really intrigued by the notion of Sponsoring a child who speaks Cakchiquel. All of these things were lurking in the back of my brain as I took a gander at CI's brand new child search functions.

Which is how I wound up fulfilling all three notions in one go.

This beautiful young woman is Yojana. She's sixteen years old and lives in Guatemala with her parents and seven siblings (six of whom are girls! Wow!). They live in an adobe home with one bedroom and a kitchen. They have regulated electricity but get their water from a neighbor's well. I can't wait to get to know her better (as an added bonus, writing to her will give me a chance to exercise my rusty Spanish skills!).

Interestingly, on her profile when she was waiting for a Sponsor it listed both Spanish and Cakchiquel for the languages she speaks. But now on her profile on my account, it only lists Spanish. I'm pretty sure that's just an oversight, although it IS possible to forget your native language (Mother Teresa did!).

Her favorite subjects in school are math and languages, and her listed talents are drawing and painting--I can't wait to see the drawings on her letters!

I'm hopeful, too, that when she graduates the program in 2.5 years I'll be able to Sponsor one of her younger siblings and continue to build a relationship with the whole family.

So! Welcome to my Sponsorship family, Yojana!

No comments:

Post a Comment