Monday, November 19, 2012

Christmas Shopping


I had a rare day off from work today, and so I took the opportunity to finish up my shopping for my Christmas DPs for my girls (I know, I'm running late! They'll be in the mail tomorrow! lol). As I got into my truck and turned the key, the song "Do They Know It's Christmas" by Band Aid came blaring out of my speakers. It inspired me to think all the way to the store about how my Christmas and my children's Christmasses will differ, and it made me feel good inside to know that I was going to be able to help ten families have a warmer, brighter holiday.

One of the things I had to pick up were the envelopes in which I'll be mailing the DPs. As I was checking out with the envelopes and the assorted goodies I had picked up, the woman at the register commented on the number of packages I'd be mailing. "Yeah," I replied with a smile. "They're going all the way to the Philippines."

"Do you sponsor a family there?" she asked me immediately, which caught me completely off guard--usually people assume I have family there or something. So I told her all about my girls and Children International, and she asked a lot of questions about how sponsorship works. She asked for the website, and as she handed me my receipt, she said  that she's going to start off with "only" one child!

Now I'm back home, getting ready to pack up the envelopes and send them on their way ... and I'm thankful to have had such a touching, meaningful start to my holiday season.

Edited to add:

It's 4AM, and the packing is complete! Boy, I feel bad for the Post Office clerk who has to deal with me and my nine giant, stuffed envelopes this morning! =)


Before ... and After!

No comments:

Post a Comment